I AM STILL BECOMING


I have lived
inside a body
the world sometimes notices
before it notices me.

I have known the glance
that asks a question
without speaking,
the silence that assumes
I cannot,
the door that seems to close
before I reach it.

Yes,
there have been days
when the weight was heavy—
when frustration sat beside me
and courage seemed
like a distant country.

But I learned something:
I am more than the limits
others place around me.

My disability is part of my story,
but it is not the whole story.

It has taught me
to listen differently,
to see beyond appearances,
to celebrate small victories
that others may never understand.

It has taught me
that strength is not always loud.

Sometimes strength
is simply getting up.

Sometimes it is trying again
after yesterday defeated you.

Sometimes it is saying,
with a trembling voice:
“I still believe
there is more in me.”

Do not measure my worth
by the speed of my steps,
the strength of my hands,
or the things I cannot do.

Measure me
by the love I give,
the work I offer,
the burdens I help carry,
the dreams I refuse to bury.

And do not give me pity
when what I need is opportunity.
Do not lower the horizon
because you think my journey is difficult.

Make the path accessible.
Open the door.
Give me a fair chance.

Then watch.

For I have discovered
that a limitation can become
a different way of moving,
a different way of thinking,
a different way of seeing the world.

I do not need to become
someone without disability
to become someone of consequence.

I need only the freedom
to become fully myself.

So here I stand—
not untouched,
not unbroken,
not without scars,

but still dreaming,
still serving,
still learning,
still creating,
still rising.

My story is not
a story of what disability took from me.

It is the story
of what life could not take away:
my dignity,
my voice,
my purpose,
my hope.

And if you ask me
who I am,
I will not begin
with what I cannot do.
I will tell you:

I am here.
I have a place.
I have something to give.
And I am still becoming.
— Kwesi Yirenkyi Boateng
     16 August 2026

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRATITUDE NOTE VII

WHISTLING GAME

Your Worth